Monday, June 13, 2011

Stamped backgrounds on Heart2Heart

This week we are focussing on creating stamped backgrounds for Dad!  With Father's Day around the corner, it's a great time to get your cards going, and a stamped background works wonderfully for guy cards.  CTMH has so many wonderful stamp sets that work perfectly to create a custom background for your father, brother, hubby or son - whoever the special guys in your life are.  Mary has a couple of tutorial ideas for you on the Heart2Heart Challenge blog of how to do a random stamped background - and I have a few pictures to explain what I've done, too - just scroll down.  I like to do "controlled random stamping" (which I think is an oxymoron?), which basically means I'm a stamping control freak, who likes to plan things out... not a lot of random anything happening :o)  Here's what I came up with for my Dad:
My sisters will crack up when they see this, because "Jumper" and "Muscleman" have special meaning in regards to my Dad, but basically I've used all the names that he's called by us.  I've used seven different alphabet sets, and positioned them all in different directions so that they look randomly placed, like a sheet of wrapping paper would be (even though mine is planned out carefully!).  Only "Dad" is done in sunset to stand out a little bit from the background.  Here's how I started:
I stamped my sunset Dad first, so that it would be in the right location.  Then I worked outward from there, turning my stamps as I went, so that I filled in spaces (if I did this randomly, I would've ended up with blank spaces.  My controlling tendancies wanted them all filled!).
Here's what my stamping desk looked like with all of my words spelled out.  You'll notice that my "s" in muscleman wasn't stamping, and there's the beauty of clear stamps - I put the s on it's own block and was able to go back and add it in afterwards.  We look forward to seeing what you've come up with - just link up your project to the Heart2Heart blog, and you may win of our monthly sponsor prizes, or be selected in our monthly Top Ten.  You must use some CTMH products in your project to be eligible for prizes.  Check out what the design team has come up with - you'll be sure to be inspired!

Supplies used: Outdoor denim, Sunset & Colonial white cardstock; Desert Sand & Sunset inks; Basic button collection; Atomic, The Works, Charm, Sans Small, Classic, Whimsy & a promo alphabets; - all CTMH.  Baker's Twine from The Twinery.

6 comments:

Kelly Schelske said...

That looks awesome Karen! I almost thought it was just one background stamp and you highlighted the Dad part, but that's awesome each one is individual!! Great work!

Paige Dolecki said...

Your post made me chuckle as I'm the same way with random stamping words - I need to have a plan so there aren't any blank spaces! Love your project!

Paige

Haley D. said...

Wonderful card! I'm sure your Dad will love it. Your not-random technique reminds me of subway art (I think it's called). I love all the different fonts and how Dad really pops.

Debbie Carriere said...

Awesome job!!! I would have gone throughout about 20 pieces of cardstock before reverting to my random ways!! This card is wonderful :)

Lorrinda said...

I suck at random stamping, so thank you so much for showing me your 'not so random' stamping technique. This is one I must try, I'm one of those people who needs to plan my random too:)

Melinda Everitt said...

Chuckling over your planned random. I so have the same issue. Random is tough. Your card is over the top special. Love the colors and I am sure it is super special to your father.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails