Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Quilted Sunglasses Case

 It's the August edition of Tuesday Threads with Karen.
 I've sewn a few larger projects for my sewing room over the last few months, so I decided that it was time for something quick & easy... and more of a personal item.  Here is my attempt of a quilted sunglasses case that I found on Pinterest (here):
 I started out by drawing out my pattern on a piece of paper, metric & standard measurements as shown:
 I cut the pattern out of two different fabrics from the Shop Hop collection designed by Ai owner/illustrator, Bonnie Krebs - available through Henry Glass Co.  I also cut a slightly larger piece of Therm O Web's Heat 'n Bond High Loft Fusible Fleece that I sandwiched between the two fabrics.
 I taught myself how to do a "stippling" pattern of free motion quilting with my sewing machine - which is an irregular squiggle pattern that you create by twisting and turning the piece to be quilted, as you sew.  I didn't have the right presser foot for my sewing machine, so I did the best that I could with my regular foot.  Here's a better shot so that you get the idea:
 I sewed a contrasting colour of bias tape around the perimeter of my shape, adding in a loop that will hold the case together when it's finished.  I flipped it over and hand sewed the bias tape on the underside for a clean finish.
 I folded the sides together as shown below, and stitched across them, about 2cm (3/4") in from each point.  When you turn the case right side out, these form little square bottom corners that give the case some shape, and allow it to sit upright.
I slip stitched the side edges of the bias tape together, and anchored the opening with a whip stitch to secure the ends - this will keep the glasses snug inside the case:

 And finally, I sewed a button on that will keep the case shut when the loop of bias tape is secured over it:
 This was so fun to sew!  It makes a great afternoon project, and would be a great gift for a Girlfriend.
Happy Sewing everyone!


1 comment:

Allie said...

Very cool idea! What a great gift :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails