Thursday, March 14, 2019

Summer scene

I have a sweet summery watercolour card to share with you today, using stamps from the latest Art Impressions Watercolor release!
I started creating my image cluster by stamping the puppy from the WC Mini Critters Set, the sitting little girl from WC Beach Girls Set, the beach ball from WC Beach Boys Set - masking each as I went along - and finally stamping the umbrella from WC Beach Girls Set.  I coloured each of the stamps with my 992 Sand Tombow marker, except for the girl, where I used my LP38 Oyster Grey Marvy marker.  I wanted a paler shade for her skin tone, as she's sitting partially in bright sunlight.  I also used the fine tip of my LP38 marker to draw in the blanket.
With a damp WC Brush4 paintbrush, I softened all of the lines, and then began filling in the colour by scribbling my markers onto my palette: Tombow 991 Straw for the hat/ball; Tombow 885 Warm Red for the umbrella, and added more water to make it more of a pink shade for her swimsuit & the ball.  I used my LP86 African Violet Marvy marker to create the shadow under the umbrella, and in and around all of the images on the blanket.  Her skin tone is made with several layers of Tombow 850 Flesh, and then I used the same colour to sketch in the suggestion of a sandy beach.  I picked up the LP86 with my brush and painted in the water, and after watering it down a little more, used it to paint in the suggestion of a sky as well.
*Design tip!  You'll notice that I placed everything on the left side of my painting, leaving the upper right corner mostly white.  The white space provides a sense of balance for the cluster of images.  I could've added a sentiment up there, but felt like it would've been too busy.
To assemble my card, I popped up the image and the stripey pink frame that I created with adhesive dots with my periwinkle cardstock peeking out from behind.  Happy painting!

2 comments:

Allie said...

This is GORGEOUS! The gingham goes perfectly with this scene, too!

Allie said...

P.S. Your whole frame is really awesome too!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails