Thursday, January 16, 2020

Build My Life

I am trying something a little different for this edition of Art Impressions' Watercolour Weekend!  I love the beautiful quotes & phrases in the Ai Bible Journaling collection - and their fabulous scripty fonts.  I saw an idea similar to this on Pinterest, where it is less of a scene, but more of an artistic representation, that focuses on the quote.
I started by die cutting my Canson XL Watercolour Paper with one of the 5062 - Rounded Rectangle Double Stitched Dies, and then I selected my colour palette of Tombow Dual Brush markers.  I began by scribbling #991 Light Ochre onto my palette, and picked it up with a very wet #6 paintbrush, creating a background wash.  I dropped in touches of #947 Burnt Sienna to add a little warmth.  I took all three of the pine tree stamps from 5010 - WC Tree Set 1, and coloured them in varying shades of #098 Avocado, #177 Dark Jade and #249 Hunter Green, making some 2-toned.  I stamped them to look like a forested hillside, doing second and third generation stamping to create some trees in the background.
Using a damp #1 paintbrush, I went over the tree boughs to blend the colours, and then pulled out the colour to pool below the trees, adding more colour where necessary to have the colours drip & blend together.  I picked up a watery brush full of #493 Reflex Blue and dropped a few bits of colour around the scene where needed.  I purposefully kept a lighter area in the center of my scene, and after my background was dry, I stamped the quote from 5127 - Build My Life Set using Versafine Onyx Black Ink.  I spattered a little black paint around, and then using a black fine point marker, I drew in the birds in the upper left corner.
On my creamy cardstock base, I blended some Vintage Photo Distress Oxide ink , then mounted a piece of kraft cardstock cut 1/8" larger than my scene.  I added 3D adhesive squares to my panel and adhered it to the card base.  Here's a second version that I tried as a landscape orientation, and this became my husband's birthday card!

Be sure to check out the Art Impressions blog on Saturday to see what Tricia & Dot have created this week!

5010 - WC Tree Set 15127 - Build My Life SetCanson XL WC Paper Pad5062 - Rounded Rectangle A2 Double Stitched DiesWCPLT - Watercolor PaletteWCBRUSH1 - WC Brush NO. 1WCBRUSH6 - WC Brush NO. 65138 - DB Pen Set 10PK - Bonnie's Favorites Set 2Tsukineko - VersaFine - Instant Dry Pigment Ink Pad - Onyx Black

5 comments:

Renee Matarese said...

These are really pretty!

Dot J Freel said...

I totally love them both! I just can't do loose and wish I could!

Allie said...

I've been meaning to tell you how stunning I think this card is! Awesome technique with the trees. I love the woodgrain paper paired with the scene, too :)

Lilou752 said...

(sorry, I leave my message as a comment because I receive an error message by sending directly an email to the address in your profile.
Please answer directly to my email address elise.amann(at)wanadoo.fr).

Hello Karen !
I'm writting an article for the issue 57 of the french magazine called "Passion cartes créatives".
The subject is Carnival/Mardi Gras (disguises, costumes, masks, confetti...).
I wish to show two of your cards within this article.
(seen here : https://artimpressionsstamps.blogspot.com/2015/05/fairy-spinner-by-karen-day.html
and here : https://artimpressionsstamps.blogspot.com/2015/09/ballerina-eunice-by-karen-day.html?showComment=1443527538293#c790135354116327780)
Would you agree with that ?
If yes, could you please send me as soon as possible high resolution photos of your creations without watermark on it ?
Of course, your name or pen name if you want will appear next to the images, and the address of your blog will be in the address book.
I can write "Karen Day for Art Impressions".
Thank you in advance for your quick answer, even if it is negative, so that I can get organized (I have to give my paper for tomorrow !).
Best Regards, Elise AMANN
PS : if you have other creations which could be great for this article, don't hesitate to send images of them to me, I'd be happy to share them with our readers. ;-)

SMalec said...

Absolutely beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails