Thursday, July 18, 2019

Window card for Watercolor Weekend

This is one of the cards that I taught at my recent card class at the Crafter's Workshop, and I'm sharing it on the Art Impressions blog today for Watercolor Weekend!  The class featured the 5014 WC Window Set from Art Impressions:
 The base is cut with a 3 1/4" x 4 1/2" stitched rectangle die, from Canson Watercolor paper, and I started by colouring the smaller window in the set with my N55 Cool Grey 7 Tombow marker, stamping it about 3/4" down from the top edge.  Still using the N55, I stamped the kitten from 5016 WC Mini Critter Set on the window sill, and the pot from 4869 WC Small Container Set about 3/4" below the window.  I masked off the pot, and stamped the bricks from 5018 WC Cobblestone Set with N55.  With the fine point of the marker, I sketched in the curtains directly on the paper. (If you're nervous about adding details with a marker, use a pencil to get it exactly as you like, first!).
I used my damp #4 paintbrush to pull the colour out of all the lines, dragging it towards where the shadows would fall.  I scribbled 992 Sand onto my palette, and painted it in streaky strokes to suggest weathered wood on the shutters.  I used 947 Burnt Sienna to add colour to the kitty, and the terra cotta pot, going in a second time to add another layer of colour where the shadows would be.  With 177 Dark Jade and a sprig from 5007 WC Foliage Set 3, I created the vine leading up from the pot, through and over the shutters, adding a few smaller sprigs using the tiny greenery in 5009 WC Mini Flower Set to fill in a few areas.  With 533 Peacock Blue/177 Dark Jade I coloured the floral cluster from the Mini Flower Set and added it to the pot.  With the tiny dotted flowers from the set, and the 533 marker, I put clusters of flowers throughout the vine.  I dabbed all the foliage with my damp brush to soften all the lines.
With the tiny grass from Foliage Set 4051, and my 126 Light Olive, I added grass around the pot & cobblestones, then pulled out the colour to add a suggestion of a grassy area on the ground.  I picked up 565 Deep Blue from my palette to paint in the shadows on the window, around the shutters and cobblestones to add a little depth to my scene.  You really can't see it in the photos, but there is a faint wash on the wall of 491 Glacier Blue, which softens the look of the wall quite nicely.  Be sure to check out the Art Impressions blog today, to see what Dot & Tricia have to share!  Happy painting!


2 comments:

Christine Kiehl said...

Such a lovely card!

Allie said...

Such a sweet little scene :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails