Thursday, May 4, 2023

New Scenic Foundations

For the upcoming Watercolour Weekend on the Art Impressions blog, I'm sharing one of the new Scenic Foundations sets that was released this week.  Here is 5745 Stone Bridge:

I coloured the entire image (it's all one stamp!) in Tombow #969/565 and stamped onto my Canson XL Watercolour paper.  Since the image is rectangular, but not defined by an outside line, I used a pencil to sketch in the outer rectangle shape so that I knew where to confine my painting.  After pulling out the colour with a damp brush, I began painting the house, layering # 992/977 on the roof, bench and pathway, adding extra layers of colour on the shadier areas.  I decided that my house would be white, so added layers of 565 to create the shaded sides, keeping the brighter sides pure white, and I used it to paint in the windows, and add shadows under the roof lines.  I used tones of warm and cool grays N65 and N57 to paint the chimney and stone bridge in a bit of a mottled fashion, keeping the darker tones to the lower side of each stone, which would be more shadowed.  565 was added in for extra shading, and used to paint the under side of the bridge.  

With the small dot flowers and greenery sprig from 5009 - WC Mini Flower Set, I added the garden around the house, using 565/993/177, and used 993 to paint the bench.  The house needed a pop of colour, so layers of #856 gave me a red door, which becomes the focal point of the scene.  I used #177 to paint the faraway hill, and #126 the closer grass, and used both colours along with the foliage stamp from 5372 - WC Mini Foliage to create the leaves on the tree.  A light wash of #493 was painted in the sky, leaving white areas that became clouds, and a darker wash created the stream.  I erased the lines defining my rectangle, matted my scene on some green cardstock and adhered it to the pretty plaid from the 5606 - Harvest Journal PP.  I cut out two of the Spring die from 5719 - FB Fence and Journal Set in a lighter green cardstock, and adhered it to the bottom of my scene.

Be sure to check out the Ai blog on Saturday to see what Diane & Tricia have to share!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails